Many or all of the products featured here are from our partners who compensate us. This may influence which products we write about and where and how the product appears on a page. However, this does not influence our evaluations. Our opinions are our own.
NJM may operate in only a handful of states, but when it comes to coverage, it punches above its weight. NJM home insurance includes not only the basics you’d expect but also a suite of additional coverage that would cost extra at many other companies.
Combine that with a user-friendly website and a lower-than-expected rate of consumer complaints, and you’ve got a home insurance company that’s worth considering if you live in one of the states it serves.
NJM home insurance pros and cons
How NJM home insurance rates
NJM homeowners insurance earned 5 out of 5 stars for overall performance. WealthyUpdates’s ratings are determined by our editorial team. The homeowners insurance scoring formula takes into account policy coverage options and discounts, ease of filing a claim, website transparency, the financial strength of the company, complaint data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners and more.
Based on these ratings, NJM is among WealthyUpdates’s Best Home Insurance Companies for 2021.
NJM home insurance state availability
NJM offers homeowners insurance in Connecticut, Maryland, New Jersey, Ohio and Pennsylvania.
NJM home insurance coverage
You can customize your homeowners policy with numerous add-ons, but below are the types of coverage that generally come standard:
For more details, see Homeowners Insurance: What It Is and What It Covers.
In addition to this standard coverage, NJM includes four additional types of coverage that often cost extra at other companies:
- Guaranteed replacement cost coverage, which ensures enough of a payout to rebuild your home with similar materials even if your dwelling coverage falls short. To be eligible for this coverage, you must insure your home to NJM’s full recommended replacement cost limit.
- Replacement cost coverage for your personal belongings, which pays out enough for you to buy new belongings if yours are stolen or destroyed. (Other companies may pay out less to reflect the depreciated value of older items.)
- Water backup coverage, which pays to repair damage if your sump pump overflows or water backs up into your home.
- Ordinance or law coverage, which pays for expenses associated with upgrading your home to current building codes after a covered claim.
You can further customize your policy with the following add-ons:
- Extra coverage for valuable items like jewelry and heirlooms.
- Extra fraud protection in case you’re a victim of credit card fraud, a forged check or counterfeit money.
- Identity fraud coverage, which pays up to $15,000 for expenses you encounter if your identity is stolen.
- Earthquake insurance, which pays for damage to your home or belongings from an earthquake (not available in Connecticut).
- Coverage for fungi damage or issues such as wet or dry rot.
- Supplemental loss assessment, which covers up to $5,000, depending on your policy, when your condo or homeowners association is liable for an injury or property damage and you must pay your share.
- Assisted living care coverage, which extends personal property and liability coverage to a relative in a nursing home or similar facility.
- Increased coverage for items in storage, which raises your coverage limit for belongings in a self-storage unit.
- Increased coverage for other structures, which raises your coverage limit for sheds, pools and other nonattached structures on your property.
» MORE: 10 kinds of damage home insurance won’t cover
NJM home insurance discounts
NJM may offer the following ways to save money on your homeowners policy, depending on where you live:
- Multipolicy discount.
- Discount for features such as smoke detectors, burglar alarms and automatic sprinkler systems.
- Nonsmoking discount.
- Discount for being 65 or older.
- Discount for having an automatic backup power supply or portable generator.
- Paid-in-full and electronic payment discount.
- Paperless discount.
- Discount for having impact-resistant glass on all windows.
» MORE: 9 ways to cut the cost of homeowners insurance
NJM home insurance complaints
NJM received fewer than the expected number of home insurance complaints to state regulators relative to its size, according to three years’ worth of data from the National Association of Insurance Commissioners. (NAIC home insurance complaints also cover other home policy types, including mobile home, renters and condo insurance.)
NJM home insurance consumer experience
Website: You can use the NJM website to get a quote, make a payment, view policy details and upload documents. The site also has a useful FAQ section with information about coverage, the claims process and more.
Claims: You can report an NJM home insurance claim by phone or on the NJM website, where you can also track existing claims.
» MORE: 6 ways to streamline insurance payment on home damage claims
Homeowners insurance buying guide
Before you start comparing quotes, identify how much home insurance coverage you need. Is a standard policy sufficient, or do you want to add extra insurance for situations like identity theft or sewer backups? Check whether each company you’re considering has the options you need.
To ensure you have sufficient personal property coverage, take a quick inventory of your belongings. How much would it cost you to replace them? Include all furniture, electronic devices, clothing, jewelry and household items. This total is the minimum amount of personal property insurance you should have.
When comparing rates between insurers, make sure they’re offering the same limits and deductibles. Although it may seem tempting simply to choose the cheapest option, consider looking at how many consumer complaints each insurer has before choosing a policy. Poor customer service could have a significant impact on your experience if you ever need to file a claim.
You can get home insurance quotes online, over the phone or through an agent.
NJM home insurance FAQ
Does NJM insure mobile homes?
No, NJM doesn’t offer coverage for manufactured or mobile homes. To research other options, see our guide to manufactured and mobile home insurance.
What other types of insurance does NJM offer?
NJM sells auto, condo, renters, umbrella and commercial insurance. To learn more, read our NJM auto insurance review.
Does NJM home insurance have dog breed restrictions?
No. NJM doesn’t reject homeowners applications or limit liability coverage due to the breed of dog you have.
Does NJM home insurance cover roof leaks?
It depends on why your roof is leaking. If the cause is something excluded by your homeowners policy, such as wear and tear, any damage from the leak won’t be covered. But other causes, such as a windstorm that ripped a piece of the roof off, would likely be covered.